Do you proctor exams?
At this time, we do not proctor exams. Testing Services (Student Counseling Services) at Texas A&M University offers free proctoring of correspondence classes for currently enrolled students. If you are not a current student, I believe they will offer proctoring services for a fee. You should be able to call (979-845-4427 ext. 105) and set up an appointment.
When were the libraries built?
The Carnegie Library was built in 1903 and is the oldest Carnegie Library in the state of Texas still standing. It was completely restored in 1999 and dedicated as the Carnegie Center of Brazos Valley History and is also known as the Carnegie History Center. The Clara B. Mounce Public Library opened in 1969. Due to a fire in March 1995, the building closed for five months for renovation and cleaning for smoke damage that included removing all books from the building. The Larry J. Ringer Library was established in 1987 and housed in a strip mall until 1998 when a new building was built on Harvey Mitchell Parkway.
How do I get a receipt for tax purposes for donations?
Donations to the Library are received by the Library Director on behalf of the Friends of the Library with the understanding that the library may add donations to the collection, sell them at the Friends used book sale, or put them on the “Free Table.” A citizen may request an Acknowledgement of Donation Form at the front desk. The form is initialed by a staff member, but the citizen provides a valuation of the donated items.
What is the history of the dollhouses?
The yellow dollhouse at the Clara B. Mounce Public Library was donated by Glada Mae Trant Crocker. It is a replica built in a 1/12 scale of a ranch house in Scenic Valley, Idaho. It is valued about $16,000.
The blue Gothic Steamboat dollhouse at the Carnegie History Center is a replica of a house that was built in Calvert in 1879. The dollhouse was commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. Douglas McCrary who purchased the original house in 1971. The dollhouse was crafted by W.C. Estes of Waxahachie, TX. Construction of the dollhouse began in 1976 and was completed in 1979. The dollhouse was donated to the Carnegie History Center by Roberta Plummer of San Antonio in 1997.
What is the history of the bell on the lawn at the Mounce Library?
The bell on the lawn of the Clara B. Mounce Public Library is the Fire Department’s bell, originally rung to call the volunteer firemen. It was located on the roof of the fire-house located at the corner of Main Street and 26th Street in the combination Fire Department and Opera House. That building burned on February 20, 1909, but the bell survived and was moved to the new fire-house across from the library in what is now the Children’s Museum. It stayed there until it moved to the lawn of the Clara B. Mounce Public Library, its final home.
What is the history of the obelisk in front of the Mounce Library?
The obelisk on the south side of the building is a memorial to fallen firefighters. Placed in the Bryan City Cemetery and dedicated in December 1907, it was moved to the Library in 1996. A new base was inscribed with the death of Fireman Richard Lopez and others.
/Eng. Co. No. 1/
What is the sculpture outside the Larry J. Ringer Library?
Cambria #1 is a 20 foot long, 11 1/2 foot high painted steel scultpure by Michael D. Bigger of Minneapolis, Minnesota. This sculpture is part of the City of College Station Art in Public Places Program, created with the Arts Council of the Brazos Valley to make art accessible to the general public. The sculpture was sponsored by the City of College Station and the Arts Council of the Brazos Valley.
The artist says that Cambria #1 is “the first of a large scale, outdoor series that is concerned with abstracted 3-D calligraphy. The combination of forms also refers to the implied motion and balance, much like a stop-action photograph.”
What is the history of the Hook & Ladder Company Number 1?
Hook & Ladder Co. No. 1 was incorporated May 16, 1871. On March 7, 1881, it became Protection Engine Co. No. 1 and united with Engine Co. No. 1 (Org. 1871). Alert Engine Co. No. 2 was formed in 1877, which later disbanded in 1882.
What is the history of the oak trees on the east side of the Mounce Library?
Set in an old city park, the Clara B. Mounce Library was dedicated on December 14, 1969. The oak trees on the Washington St. side are memorials.
George Washington Bicentennial 1732-1932
William M. Scott Chapter, DAR
Registered American Tree Association.
What is the history of the Grandfather clock on the first floor at the Mounce Library?
The grandfather clock was donated in 1980 by Col. J. Jacques who once owned the LaSalle Hotel. It was bought off a ship that came into New Orleans that probably came from Europe. The clock was located in the LaSalle Hotel until it was donated to the library. Jerry Jacques is the administrator of the estate.