On this page you will find information to assist you in a job search, whether it be your first full time job or a complete change of career. Links to top local employers’ job posting boards are provided, as well as upcoming events here at the library and some basic hints and tips to help you succeed.
Resume and Interview Tips
What should a resume include?
- Your name, address, and a valid email and/or phone number
- Education: list all education from High School on. Be sure to note if you graduated or not
- Prior work experience, including dates employed and your job duties
- Volunteer work
- Additional training or certifications
- Good examples of a basic resume template can be found on Monster.com and at this location..
Resume and Cover Letter Tips
- Keep your resume to one page, if possible
- Do not use bright colors or hard to read fonts
- Never reveal your social security number, medical information, marital status, or other sensitive information in a resume or cover letter
- Do not include a picture of yourself
- Be truthful! Include all requested information
- Some companies require you to register with an email in order to apply. Make sure to use a valid email address that you check frequently!
- When choosing an email address, be sure to make it professional. Use your name, if possible, and avoid references to pop culture or childhood nicknames
Preparing For Your Interview
- Don’t know what to wear? When in doubt, call the hiring manager or HR department, ask about their dress code, and put together an outfit that leans towards the more professional end of their guidelines. More advice can be found forbes.com
- Practice! Have a friend or family member ask you potential interview questions, such as the ones in this article by Forbes.
- Bring a copy of your resume with you to the interview
Top Employers in the Brazos Valley
- City of Bryan
- City of College Station
- Brazos County
- Texas A&M University System
- St. Joseph Regional Hospital
- College Station Medical Center
- Scott & White Clinic
- Reynolds & Reynolds
- HEB Grocery
- Sanderson Farms
Need more help?
- *NEW* Texas A&M University Career Guide
- Workforce Solutions
- Texas Workforce Commission
- Unemployment Resources
- Unexpected Job Loss
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
Library Resources and Events
Teen Job Skills Program
Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2016 Teen Job Skills Program. Please see us next April in order to apply for the 2017 program!
Job Search, Computer Skills, and Test Prep training. Access through our TexShare Databases on this page.
Resume & CV Review Sessions
Larry J. Ringer Library
Bring a paper copy of your resume or CV for a librarian to review and discuss. Librarian has experience with both academic and industry/non-academic resumes and CVs. No registration required – help is available on a first come, first serve basis. See calendar for more details.
- Every Wednesday 6 – 7 PM
- The following Saturdays 10 -11 AM: March 11, April 1, April 22, May 13
Local Career Fairs
Are you a military member or veteran?
Visit our information page.