On this page you will find information to assist you in a job search, whether it be your first full time job or a complete change of career. Links to top local employers’ job posting boards are provided, as well as upcoming events here at the library and some basic hints and tips to help you succeed.
The City of Bryan HR and Ringer Library have put together a guide for resumes & applications. It can be downloaded here: Resume Tips.
Resumes & Applications
Resume & Cover Letter Templates
- Resume Template for Word (downloads as Word file)
- Cover Letter Template for Word (downloads as Word file)
What should a resume include?
- Your name, current address, and a valid email & phone number
- Education (You do not need to put graduation year)
- Prior work experience, including dates employed and your job duties
- Make sure your resume matches any application you have to submit!
Some helpful guidelines
- Keep your resume to one page, if possible.
- Do not use bright colors or hard to read fonts.
- Never reveal your social security number, medical information, marital status, or other sensitive information in a resume, application, or cover letter.
- Do not include a picture of yourself.
- Be truthful! Include all requested information.
- Some companies require you to register with an email in order to apply. Make sure to use a valid email address that you check frequently!
- Basic resume templates can be found on Microsoft Word.
- Always save your resume as a .pdf file for uploading.
Preparing For Your Interview
- Don’t know what to wear? When in doubt, call the hiring manager or HR department and ask about their dress code. More tips on dressing for interview success can be found here.
- Have a mock interview! Have a friend or family member ask you potential interview questions, such as the ones in this article by Forbes.
Library Resources and Events
Job Search, Computer Skills, and Test Prep training. Access through our TexShare Databases on this page. TexShare databases may be accessed from home for those who have a valid library card. Please call the library for login information.
Resume & CV Review Sessions
Larry J. Ringer Library
Bring a paper copy of your resume or CV for a librarian to review and discuss. No registration required – help is available on a first come, first serve basis. See calendar for more details.
- Every Monday 6 – 7 PM
BVSHRM Resume Help @ LJRL
NEW! Beginning in August, representatives from the Brazos Valley Society of Human Resource Management will be in Ringer Library’s Study Room GS2 (back right corner) to provide professional resume help! No registration required. All sessions begin at 5:30 PM and are first come, first served.
- August 1
- September 5
- October 3
- November 7
- December 5
Local Career Fairs
Top Employers in the Brazos Valley
- City of Bryan
- City of College Station
- Brazos County
- Texas A&M University System
- CHI St. Joseph
- College Station Medical Center
- Baylor Scott & White
- Reynolds & Reynolds
- HEB Grocery
- Sanderson Farms
Resume Builders & Company Reviews
Allows you to browse jobs, salaries, and company reviews. Salaries and reviews are provided by current or former employees.
Free resume builder site. Over two dozen customizable templates
Resume builder with free basic templates and multiple language options
Need More Help?
- Texas A&M University Career Guide (opens as PDF file)
- Workforce Solutions Brazos Valley
- Texas Workforce Commission
- Unemployment Resources (U.S. Dept. of Labor)
- Unexpected Job Loss (FINRA)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
The Occupational Outlook Handbook is also available in hard copy form at the Bryan + College Station Libraries.
- Dress for Success
This is a global non-profit that provides professional attire, networking support, and development tools to women.
Are you a military member or veteran?
Visit this information page.