Tax Information and Assistance

AARP TAX HELP – updated for 2020

AARP volunteers will be available to help individuals prepare and file their basic personal income tax forms at no charge. There isn’t an income limit. Bring your photo ID, social security cards for everyone on your tax return, and all tax forms that you have received. It is also useful to bring a copy of last year’s tax return.

Many of the people who come to the Tax-Aide sites hold Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) because they are not eligible for a Social Security number.  In order to file a tax return and receive all credits due, they must renew expiring ITINs.  If they file a tax return with an expired ITIN, its processing will be delayed, and they’ll receive a reduced refund.  The tax-aides would like to advise all people to renew their expired or expiring ITINs as soon as possible to avoid delays when they come to the Tax-Aide site. We have linked an IRS document that explains how to determine and renew expiring ITIN numbers (click on the linked words to view a pdf with instructions).


Saturday, February 1 to Wednesday, April 15, 2020

  • Mondays and Wednesdays, 9 AM to 5 PM
  • Fridays, 9 AM to 4:30 PM
  • Saturdays, 9 AM to 1 PM
  • Extra Saturday hours, 9 AM to 4:30 PM, Feb. 1 & 8, Apr. 4
  • Located at 1818 Harvey Mitchell Pkwy. S., College Station, TX 77845 (conference rooms at back of library)
  • Library closed April 10-12 for Easter


Saturday, February 1 to Tuesday, April 14, 2020

  • Mondays and Tuesdays, 9 AM to 5 PM
  • Fridays, 9 AM to 4:30 PM
  • Saturdays, 9 AM to 1 PM
  • Extra Saturday hours, 9 AM to 4:30 PM, Feb. 1 & 8, Apr. 4
  • Located at 201 E. 26th St., Bryan, TX 77803 (second floor)
  • Library closed April 10-12 for Easter


Get ready today to file your federal income tax return! Follow the links below for information you can use to prepare yourself for tax season.


Use Free File Software if your income is $62,000 or less and Free File Fillable Forms if your income is greater than $62,000.

Free File Software provides free federal tax prep and e-file for taxpayers. Select a brand name software , create an account and then the software guides you through return preparation. Examples of tax software include TurboTax, TaxAct, H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, and TaxSlayer.

File Fillable Forms is a FREE forms-based tool enabling you to select your income tax forms, enter your tax information, print and e-file your federal tax return. If you’re not comfortable completing a paper return by hand, without software to guide you, you should consider another method of filing your tax return.

IRS Free File is a partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, a group of industry-leading private-sector tax preparation companies that have agreed to provide free commercial online tax preparation and electronic filing. Read more about this partnership.


Military OneSource
Service members and their families are eligible for free tax software and support. Visit the link above to reach free, easy-to-use MilTax software and support services.


You can find and print most tax forms from the IRS website. You should never have to pay a website for a tax form! When in doubt, only download forms from a ‘.gov’ website. Librarians at either the Bryan or College Station branches can print off tax forms for you at $.10 a page. Please note that librarians cannot give tax advice, nor can we choose what tax form you should use!


Please note that these laws are changing. All information should be independently verified!

Most tax filers will just need to check a box on their tax return to indicate that they had coverage all year. These people met the Minimum Essential Coverage requirement, which means that they had the health coverage necessary to meet the Affordable Care Act’s requirement.

Individuals and families enrolled in a health plan through the Marketplace will need to provide some basic information about their health insurance when they file their taxes. All Marketplace consumers will receive a new statement – called a Form 1095-A – that includes all the information they need about their coverage to file their return.

While those who can afford health coverage but chose not to buy it may have to pay a fee, individuals who could not afford coverage or met other conditions can receive an exemption.   If you qualify, receiving an exemption is simple and easy, and means you won’t have to pay a fee.  It is important for individuals to know that exemptions are available and to understand the steps they need to take to request one.

If consumers have questions about their taxes, need to download forms, or want to learn more about the fee for not having insurance, they can find information and resources at or They can also call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596.

More Resources


If you are having tax problems and have not been able to resolve them with the IRS, the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) may be able to help you. This is a free service. Follow the link to locate your nearest TAS office.

Taxpayer Advocate

Print Friendly, PDF & Email