Our main 2019 summer page is www.bcslibrary.org/summer-reading-program. This year’s theme is A Universe of Stories.
Event locations are listed by each event. All events are free. Events that require registration are noted. Call (979) 209-5600 (Mounce Library) for more information. Check back to confirm event details closer to event dates.
Events will be held at Mounce Library (201 E. 26th St., Bryan, TX 77803) or Ringer Library (1818 Harvey Mitchell Pkwy. S., College Station, TX 77845) unless otherwise noted. Ringer Library (College Station) is currently closed for construction and is expected to reopen this summer. Ringer Library’s phone number (979-764-3416) is currently forwarding to Mounce Library.
Summer Reading Logs (Teen/Tween for Ages 10-18, Children’s Log for ages 0 to 10, Adult for 18+)
- June 1 – July 31: Pick up a summer reading log at Mounce Library (and at Ringer Library once it opens). Mark one space for every day of reading (or listening to a book, or looking at the pictures in a book).
- June 30 – August 31: Return your completed reading log (30 days of reading) once you have finished. Logs can be returned to Mounce Library (and to Ringer Library once it opens). Get a prize (for kids, teens, and tweens, it’s a free book).
SYNC (Free audiobooks for teens)
- Download 2 free audiobooks a week from www.audiobooksync.com from April 25 to August 1. Titles change at 6 AM each Thursday.
- This free program is provided by AudioFile Magazine, and 2019 is the 10th year of the program.
- Use the Overdrive app to download the titles into .mp3 format. (the Overdrive app from app.overdrive.com, not the Libby app)
TEENS Publish (Registration required; limit 20 people) – FULL
- Summer creative writing (and/or illustration) program for teens led by author Molly Blaisdell; participants will complete one polished piece (short story, novel excerpt, etc.) to be included in an anthology
- Registration: May 1 – June 5 (or until full, limit 20): Applications are available online, at Mounce Library, or by emailing Kendra at email@example.com and may be returned by mail, email, or at Mounce, going into 7th-12th grade (or just completed 12th grade); UPDATE: THE 2019 PROGRAM IS NOW FULL. CHECK BACK MAY 1, 2020, FOR THE 2020 PROGRAM.
- Meetings: June 5 – August 7 (except July 3): Wednesdays, 2:30 – 5 p.m., 7th-12th grade, registration required, limit 20, must be able to attend most meetings, Meyer Center (2275 Dartmouth St., College Station)
- Author Party: September or October: Participants will each get a copy of the anthology and will read excerpts, friends and family may be invited, event details to be decided closer to event date
June Teen/Tween Events and All-Ages Events
- Thurs., June 6: Interactive Chemistry Road Show, 3 – 4:30 p.m., ages 12-18, registration required, limited to 50 people, Mounce
- Sat., June 8: Teen and Adult Guitar Club, 2 p.m., Mounce
- Mon., June 10: Family Game Night, 6 – 7:30 p.m., come and go, all ages, Mounce
- Thurs., June 13: Hawaiian Social, 3 – 4:30 p.m., ages 10-18, Hawaiian food and music, Mounce
- Sat., June 15: Martha Wells, Author Visit, 2 – 3:30 p.m., all ages, sci-fi / fantasy author, drawing for free book, Mounce
- Thurs., June 20: BCS Has Got Talent!, 3 – 4:30 p.m., ages 10-18, show off any talent, registration required to perform, entry form available online (download pdf or MS Word) and at library, Mounce, return completed forms in person (2nd floor) or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thurs., June 27: A Universe of Stories – Space Adventure, 3 – 4:30 p.m., ages 10-18, view constellations inside planetarium, food, games, crafts, Mounce
- Thurs., June 27: Anime Club, 4 – 5 p.m., all ages, watch Japanese animation rated PG to TV-14, Southwood Community Center (College Station)
- Sat., June 29: Family Workshop: Build a Telescope, 10 a.m. & 2 p.m., registration required, Mounce, call (979) 209-5600 to register and specify which time you prefer, limit 1 telescope per family
July Teen/Tween Events and All-Ages Events
- Mon., July 8: Family Game Night, 6 – 7:30 p.m., come and go, all ages, Mounce
- Wed., July 10: Star Wars Fun, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., come and go, all ages, Mounce
- Thurs., July 11: Sundaes and Games, 3 – 4:30 p.m., ages 10-18, Mounce
- Sat., July 13: Star Party with Brazos Valley Astronomy Club, 9 p.m. – 11 p.m., come and go, all ages, outside Ringer
- Thurs., July 18: The Buzz About Bees and Beeswax, 3 – 4:30 p.m., ages 10-18, registration required, limited to 40 people, Mounce, *TCA
- Thurs., July 25: Movie and Popcorn, 3 – 5 p.m., ages 10-18, watch a classic 80s movie (E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, rated PG), Mounce
- Thurs., July 25: Anime Club, 4 – 5 p.m., all ages, watch Japanese animation rated PG to TV-14, Mounce (1st floor conference room)
- Sat., July 27: Reptile Day, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m., come and go, all ages, Mounce
August Teen/Tween Events and All-Ages Events
- Sat., August 3 – Fri., August 9: Scholastic Book Fair, dates and times to be announced, come and go, all ages, Ringer
- Tues., August 13: Teen/Tween Pool Party, 7:30 – 9:30 p.m., ages 10-18, must participate in summer reading, permission slip required (will be available from libraries and at the party; must be signed by parent or guardian), registration appreciated, Adamson Lagoon (College Station)
- Thurs., August 29: Anime Club, 4 – 5 p.m., all ages, watch Japanese animation rated PG to TV-14, Ringer
- Teen Advisory Board: Help plan events for teens and tweens, going into 7th-12th grade, Contact Youth Services at (979) 209-5600 for information about applying for the Teen Advisory Board for either library. Ringer Library’s TAB is not meeting until the library reopens.
- Teen Summer Volunteers: Fill out volunteer paperwork at www.bcslibrary.org/volunteer-opportunities if you are interested in being a teen volunteer at either library. Contact a Youth Services librarian if you are interested in helping with some of our summer events (see the children’s events list).
- Teen Job Skills Program: Ringer Library’s summer job skills training program for high school students will be postponed until August, so applications will not be due in April this year. Contact Ringer Library manager Jessica Jones at (979) 209-5611 for more information.
All events are free. Some events require registration and have limited space. For more information or any questions, call (979) 209-5600. Please check back closer to event dates to confirm details.
*TCA: Kim Lehman’s Bees and Buzz workshop is funded by grants from the Texas Commission on the Arts and by the Friends of the Bryan+College Station Public Library System.