The Bryan + College Station Public Library System has been recognized with the 2023 Achievement of Library Excellence Award from the Texas Municipal Library Directors Association (TMLDA,) an affiliate of the Texas Municipal League, for outstanding contributions to its communities.
Of the 545 public libraries in Texas, only 84 received this award in 2023, placing the BCS Library System in the top 15% of public library systems in the state.
“We’re extremely honored to be named one of the top library systems in Texas,” said BCS Library System Director Bea Saba. “Every day, we strive for excellence at our library branches by providing programs and services that meet the specific needs of our patrons where they live, work and play.”
The Achievement of Library Excellence Award is open to TMLDA member library directors and the libraries they represent. To receive the award, a library must support standards of excellence in the following 10 categories:
- Services to underserved populations through outreach, special programs, collaborations with other organizations, or special collections.
- Innovative and effective marketing materials highlighting services and publicity about specific library programs.
- Collaboration with community organizations.
- Enhanced service to the public either through an increase in service or additional type of services.
- Literacy support for all ages.
- Digital inclusion through public internet access, digital literacy training, and online library services.
- Workforce development support.
- Cultural, topical, and educational programming for adults and families.
- Professional training opportunities for staff at all levels.
- Other services demonstrating excellent service to the community.
Since 1966, TMLDA has served to promote the public library profession, improve the methods of library service delivery, and maintain high standards of professional ethics.