While the overarching goals and themes of the Bryan + College Station Public Library System’s Summer Reading Program naturally focus on reading, there are many activities, events and competitions tied to the program that focus on other disciplines like art, science, history and music.
Two of our most popular competitions are the annual art and writing contests. Find out all the info you need here to take part in these two creativity contests.
You’re formally invited to join us for the Summer Reading Program Art Contest: “All Together Now.”
- The contest is open to all ages in the following five categories:
- Ages 5-6
- Ages 7-8
- Ages 9-10
- Ages 11-14
- Ages 15+ (adult category)
- Art must be created no earlier than June 1, 2023 — (new work of art) and received between July 1 – 15, accompanied by a digital or print ‘copyright release form for original work’
- Art must be no larger than 9×12 inches on paper in the following medium: chalk, paint, pencils, markers, crayons
- Any type of paper will be accepted; such as canvas or mixed media; no sculpture or frame art accepted
- Must adhere to the theme of “togetherness”
- Include contact information (name of artist, age, parent name (if minor), phone number, email & branch on the back side of art paper
- Entries must not have been submitted for previous contest and only one art entry per person
- Submissions must be turned in by July 15 at 5 p.m., the latest. No entry accepted after that
- All artwork must be picked up by Aug. 31. If artwork is not picked up by that date, it becomes the property of the Library
- By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of the publication of their name, artwork image, and statement in connection with the contest or any subsequent similar contest held by BCS Public Library System, without payment or compensation other than the chance to win the prize awarded
- Entries will be posted during the month of August at the branch location designated on back of artwork
A panel of judges from The Arts Council of the Brazos Valley will decide the winners for each category.
One prize will be awarded per each age category: $25 gift certificate
Prizes will be awarded the week of July 24 and winners will be contacted.
Our writing contest for adults starts on June 1 and ends on July 31.
A group of friends find themselves locked in the library overnight. They discover they can travel into any book’s story. What happens next?
- Must be over the age of 18
- Submissions must be less than 2000 words
- All submissions must be emailed to Ashley at email@example.com
- Once received contestants must agree to a copyright release form
- First place: $30 Barnes & Noble gift card
- Second place: $25 Barnes & Noble gift card
- Third place: $20 Barnes & Noble gift card